|(8572)||Nijo = 1996 UG1|
Discovered 1996 October 19 by J. Tichá and M. Tichý at Kle.
|Named for Nijo Castle (Nijo-jo) in Kyoto, built in 1603 as the official residence of the first Tokugawa shogun, Ieyasu. The site is famous for its wooden architecture and the screen paintings of trees and birds of Ninomaru Palace, as well as for the beautiful Ninomaru garden, designed by the tea master and landscape architect Kobori Enshu. The discoverers visited and admired Ninomaru and several other famous gardens in Kyoto during the IAU General Assembly in 1997.|
|(MPC 34627 | 1999 May 4)|